Wednesday, October 15, 2014

5 lessons I've learned about Postpartum

Before I had Eleanor, I did a TON of research about having a baby and postpartum. I confess, I watched a few birth videos too. I felt that I was ready for when I had E. I knew what to do in labor, I knew what to expect directly postpartum, like in the hospital. However, there were a few things that I did not expect about postpartum that took me by surprise.

1. You cry a lot. Like a lot, a lot. 
Before I got pregnant, I'd like to say that I did not have feelings at all. People used to call me the ice queen, no joke. During my pregnancy, my hormones weren't too bad. I didn't have any crazy cravings, I didn't cry at the drop of a hat, and I stayed very active. My hormones were a little off, but it wasn't anything I couldn't handle. But after I had E, they went straight to the crapper. About two weeks after I had E, Hubby was on duty and was gone all night long. I was watching TV and a diaper commercial came on. It was one of those commercials that shows mommy and baby happy that the baby didn't pee through its diaper. There was some sweet music on and suddenly, I began to cry. When it was over, I thought to myself, OMG. Why did I just cry over this commercial? Then I began to think. I have been very emotional lately. I cry every time I see someone with a baby. I tear up when I see a cute puppy picture on Pinterest. 
I suppose that since my pregnancy hormones were pretty controllable, that postpartum would be controllable too. Guess not! 

2. Your body still isn't quite your own.
I suppose if you are formula feeding, then you get your body back faster, but if you breastfeed or pump, then your body still is not quite your own. You still have to carefully monitor everything that you eat. If you eat something that the baby doesn't agree with, the baby will get gas. If you indulge in some Taco Bell (which I have been too chicken to try post baby, because I am worried it will hurt her tummy), you have to weigh the good and bad. Will it be worth it to eat Taco Bell now, and possibly have a fussy, gassy baby tonight?
And you still have to drink, like half of your body weight every day. I drink anywhere between 120-150 oz of water a day. I really don't mind drinking water, since its all I drink, but its not as easy for others.
Some say that with breastfeeding and/or pumping, that mom will loose the baby weight faster. That might be the case for some women, but not all. I've read that in many cases that women stay the same, even gain some weight from breastfeeding. But Dieting while BFing is hard too. You have to take in enough water and calories to produce enough milk for baby to grow. If you don't take in enough, your baby won't have enough food for baby, and if you take it too much, you don't loose weight, you gain it. Catch 22, isn't it? Ugh, the struggle.

3. You go bald (or at least you feel like it)
I had no idea that I would lose so much hair, post baby. I never really noticed a big change in the thickness of my hair during pregnancy. I only noticed that it grew faster. But about a week after I had E, I started noticing that I was loosing quite a bit of hair in the shower. But nothing was different. I was still using the same shampoo, I was still fixing my hair the same way, but I felt like I was going bald! But no worries. I still have TONS of hair, it just seemed more dramatic because I have three feet of hair, rather than the normal amount the average mom has. Apparently its completely normal to lose hair postpartum, thanks to my hormones. Those crazy hormones just keep popping up, don't they!

4. You smell 
Okay, this one is a little gross. It also goes back to those lovely hormones, once again. Since your body is still adjusting to not having a bun in the oven anymore, your chemistry gets a little screwed up. For me, it meant that things like deodorant did not work as well. Neither did those cutesy smelling perfumes. I ended up having to switch to a different deodorant that was a bit stronger. However, I now carry a travel size stick of deodorant, just in case I have any more stinky incidents.

5. You can function without sleep
Its amazing the things you can accomplish with such little amounts of sleep. The first two or three weeks were really hard for me to get up with Eleanor in the middle of the night to feed her. Then the day time was even worse. I couldn't do anything productive other than feed myself, Eleanor and change diapers. However, after the two or three week mark, things got a ton better. I went from taking naps every day when E napped, to only taking naps when I only REALLY need them. I have learned to manage my time so much more efficiently than before. When she sleeps now, I clean the kitchen, clean the living room, do laundry and sometimes even do something for myself, like sew. I still get up with E about twice a night (at about 3 and 6 AM) but I don't feel like such a zombie anymore. It gets better, I promise!

Not all things about Postpartum are bad. I do love seeing my smiling girls face everyday. I love the look she gives me while shes eating, and looks up at me with love and admiration. I love when she plays on her play mat and laughs when she sees herself in the mirror. I love how truly peaceful she looks when she is asleep. I love her more than I could ever possibly express in words.


No comments:

Post a Comment