Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Modern Day Miracle

I've been absent from blogging lately. I have been traveling quite a bit for the last month, and haven't been around computers much to do any blogging. But I want to take the time to share something.

Back in Florida, my dad and I had an interesting conversation about miracles. We talked about how no one seems to think that miracles happen anymore. Miracles seem to be a thing of the past. As if they happened in the bible days, but since revelation was written, that no one has had an unexplained event that would not be possible, had God not intervened. We talked about how the news stations only report on incredibly sad things such as terrorism, racism, and politics (yes, those are sad too). Apparently it doesn't appeal to viewers to report on good news. News about mysterious bills being paid by an anonymous person. A tumor that just disappears out of thin air. People that are pronounced dead that come back to life. And people who should have died, that seem to still be walking around just fine.

Little did I know that just 2 weeks after having this conversation, that my family would witness a true miracle. After I came back home from Florida, I had to turn around and leave for North Carolina where my Mother-in-law would be having open heart surgery. Hubby and I wanted to be there to support her and be there with her as long as we could, before having to get back to VA, and back to work.

Last Monday, bright and early, my MIL was scheduled for her third open heart surgery. The surgeons expected the surgery to last about 4-6 hours. We all took turns going back to the pre-op holding room to love on her and say one last prayer for her, and let her know that we would be there to help her when she came out of surgery to help her recover.

4 hours turned into 6 hours. Then 6 hours turned into 8 hours. The family (and friends) started to worry. Surely we should have heard something by now, right? We weren't really worried that something terrible happened, but concerned as to why it was taking so long. Finally, after about 8.5 hours, we got word that the surgeons were closing, and that we should migrate into the consult room so that the Doctor could speak with us. When the Doctor came in, he had a look of shock on his face. At first, I thought the look of shock was by the number of people in the room. There were about 10 people in the room (People who love and care for my MIL so much, that they took time out of their busy week to drive down 3-4 hours out of their way to be with her during her surgery). But when he opened his mouth, I found I was very wrong.

The surgeon started off by saying that the surgery went very well. Here are some tid-bits of what I heard(listening was hard since I was wrangling a 9 month old, and I just don't follow all that medical jargon/lingo) :
"It lasted a lot longer than we all expected"
"I am surprised that she was still up and walking around"
"Her coronary artery wasn't even attached to her heart so I reattached that"
"Then it started leaking out blood, and I found that one of the aorta's wasn't attached either"
"She is lucky to be alive"

Lets just stop right there. I don't know about you, but I have watched enough Grey's Anatomy to know what some of that means. I am not a medical professional by any means, but when I hear that an artery wasn't attached to the heart, I start thinking "How was blood getting to the heart? How was she pumping blood if the artery wasn't attached? How does one live without all the proper arteries, aortas and vessels attached the to the heart?" The heart needs to be working properly to do its job. It needs to have an adequate blood supply. It needs have blood to work. So, why was she alive if she didn't have good blood supply?

But I know.

It was God. It was a miracle. He did this. There is no explanation as to why Cindy should still be alive if there were two major blood supplies to her heart that were not even attached. God put her (and all her family and friends) in this situation to tell everyone. Tell everyone that SHE IS A MIRACLE. The whole situation is a miracle. Its situations like this that we are supposed to shout it from the mountains and cry with joy, knowing that she has survived this. This is now a part of her testimony. Cindy can live the rest of her life knowing that God worked a miracle through her and maybe, just maybe, she will tell the right person the story, that will help someone else have hope. Maybe Cindy can give someone else hope in a seemingly impossible situation. She can tell someone that there is a God and she can lead someone to God that desperately needs Him.

Long story short, My Mother-in-law, Cindy, is doing great. The first night after the surgery was a little bumpy. There were a few ups and downs and she ended up needing a pace-maker put in, but overall, she did great. She was even discharged on Saturday, which is awesome, considering the magnitude of the surgery.

So, on behalf of the entire family, I would like to say thank you for all your prayers, in the days leading up to the surgery, the day of, and in the days following the surgery. Every call, text and prayer sent out was so thoughtful. We would love for everyone to continue praying for Cindy to have a speedy recovery, and that she gets to come home (from North Carolina) soon after her post-op visit at Duke in a few weeks.

God is good, all the time.
And
All the time, God is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment